Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Hit forehead and have bump. Having soft spot, redness and pain. Should I be worried?

Jul 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 2148 Questions
I hit my forehead on Saturday and the bump that was left was a little bigger than a baseball but had an indented soft spot in the center. The bump is gone but the soft spot is still there and is also red and painful I get head aches and it hurts even more if I look towards the ground is there anything I should be worried about.
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be a soft tissue Hematoma.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Based on the description and symptoms, I suspect that you could have suffered a Soft tissue Hematoma (blood clot). This generally is self limiting and usually heals spontaneously within 2-3 weeks.

An xray of the injured area is necessary to rule out any fracture of the frontal bone of the skull. As you are also experiencing headache,(to be on the safer side) it is wise to undergo a CT scan of the brain to exclude any intracranial pathology (which may be unlikely in your case).

The general treatment guidelines of a Hematoma is as follows -

- Protect the injured area from further injury by using some form of soft padding
- Use an elastic compression bandage around the injured area to limit any swelling
- Use simple analgesics like Ibuprofen, Diclofenac or Naproxen as needed.
- Ice packing the painful area for 10-15 minutes once in 3 hours. Ice will help calm the inflammatory response and stimulate blood flow to the area.

If you are still concerned, consult your PCP for further evaluation and management.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor