History of HBP. What does sudden withdrawal of atenolol cause?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have a history of High Blood Pressure. Attenolol was prescribed for this and I took it for 4 years. After a sudden withdrawal of this medication, I became very ill. What reactions can you have after sudden withdrawal?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Sudden withdrawal of atenolol may cause palpitations,increase of blood pressure,increase of pulse rate,may precipitate angina,severe headache etc.
Always consult with your physician before stopping atenolol. 
Withdrawal of atenolol should only be undertaken under a careful watch by your physician as previous symptoms of high blood pressure, angina and other heart-related problems may be exacerbated by the reduction in the dose. You doctor will give you specific instructions on exactly how to stop taking atenolol. 

Since atenelol is meant to be given long-term and continually, getting off atenolol has to be done over at least 2 to 4 week period, gradually reducing the dosage every few days. 

I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any additional query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
Thank you for the response. I must be a text book case, because I have had all the above symptoms. I am alot better, although I still have occurence of arrythmia probably now about every two to three days. I have found that since my naturopath has given me the Ultra Magnesium and minerals that these are becoming less frequent. How long are withdrawal symptoms normally go for and it is unusual to experience the angina pain up to several months after withdrawal?
Hello
The arrythmias you are talking about are may be just palpitations.
As I told you above,withdrawl symptoms last from 2 to 4 weeks.
If you feel that you are still having angina even after so many months,then you must talk to your doctor for this and get it checked up.
Thanks