Hi doctor I am 14 weeks pregnant and the toaster

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 28 Mar 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi doctor I am 14 weeks pregnant and the toaster was on and I was barefoot and I went to put a steel fork inside the toaster so metal to metal and I had a very bad shock I can feel the shock on my chest it wasn’t for too long. Will it be affecting my baby? I am really worried like over stressed I hope it hasn’t affected the baby.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Baby is likely to be safe.

Detailed Answer:
The baby is usually safe inside the sac but the baby also must have felt the shock. Since the shock was momentary and there are no burns or persistent tingling or numbness or memory loss in your case the baby is likely to be safe inside. Do have rest and consult a gynecologist in case you see any vaginal bleeding.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 28 minutes later
I can feel palpitations on my chest and like a chest pain I’m not worried about myself just worried about the baby. I hope it hasn’t affected the nervous system of the baby
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No permanent effect on nervous system.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The palpitations can be due to stress and anxiety. This should settle down on its own in 1-2 days. The baby is not likely to be affected. Stay calm and relaxed.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 20 hours later
Thank u I went for a scan today to check well-being and Alhamdullilah all is good baby heartbeat was good too. According to dates I am 13 weeks and 4 days but when I went for the scan the baby is measuring 15.4cm? Is that too big? Like could it be that I’m ahead and I’m not sure?
Brief Answer:
7-8cm.

Detailed Answer:
At 13 weeks 4 days the baby should measure around 7-8 cm. You must have seen the sac size. Do upload the complete report to clarify. If the size is more than that then head can be seen properly and BPD can be measured.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 hours later
I updated scan photo
Brief Answer:
Please upload the report.

Detailed Answer:
There is no report attached with this query. Please upload the ultrasound scan report in the box provided on the right hand side of this page.
Regards.