Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

157 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Hi I don t know if this is a dermatologist

Answered by
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney


Practicing since :2007

Answered : 3626 Questions

Posted on Tue, 1 Jan 2019 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi

I don't know if this is a dermatologist question but I experience some irritation in my skin I think.

For the last 2 weeks I've gotten super irritated around my right buttocks, inside the crotch on the right side and it irritates me a lot. There is nothing to see in the area, it all looks normal and no redness etc. I am not sure what is causing it but it won't stop.

It becomes. Worse the. More I sit. I notice that the areas are slightly sensitive and the hair I have there (pubic hair) hurts a lot when pulled or when the hair gets stretched out, way more than the other places. I don't know if this is what causes it and what can I do about it? I sit down at home and at my work and try to stand up frequently to avoid it but it seems to continue.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pruritus, topical steroid & antihistaminic

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to ask a doctor service
I have gone through your complaints and it seems to be pruritus.
It could be related to inflammation of the body folds, excessive moisture in the private areas or due to friction at this site.
I would recommend you to apply topical steroid like cortisone cream on the affected areas twice daily and take antihistaminic like tablet cetrizine 10 mg once or twice daily depending on the intensity of itching and irritation for few days.
I hope to have answered your query and would be happy to answer any further queries.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 7 hours later
Thank you for your reply.

I am not really feeling itchy, it's more a sustained burning sensation or pressure in the area. Some of the hairs in my crotch and under/between the testicles and perineum and inner thigh are sore when moved or touched. And it's oddly enough only on the right and not on the left.

I can't see anything wrong in the area, nothing looks irritated or red etc. I used some zinc ointment which made it much worse as it caused more friction on the hair vs. skin around my buttcheeks.

I have folliculitis around my body, including my pubic zone above my penis but not under or around the inner thigh and not really on the butt cheeks either.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take tablet gabapentine

Detailed Answer:
If you are having burning then take tablet gabapentine 300 mg once daily for 2 weeks.
This will take care of the burning and pressure sensation.
It is a prescription drug and should be taken under the supervision of the doctor.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on