Hi! I am presently taking 10 mg ofescital opram oxalate
I am presently taking 10 mg ofescital opram oxalate and find I am having
weird dreams. Is this a side effect. What could I replace it with?
Alternative to Escitalopram oxalate
I understand your concern. Escitalopram (as all the SSRI and SNRI class antidepressants) is known to suppress the REM sleep, that is, the stage of sleep where rest happens. The result is intense and vivid dreams. Many other antidepressants have this effect, which is ironic, because depression itself causes sleep and dream disorders.
A class of antidepressants that do not cause vivid and intense dreams, or nightmares are Tricyclics, which are an older class but are known to cause positive dreams. Imipramine (Tofranil), Clomipramine (Anafranil), Amitriptyline (Elavil) are some antidepressants that belong to this group. Of course, as with all antidepressants, these are not without side effects either, so please discuss with your doctor about these alternatives so they can prescribe what is best for you.
I hope this answers your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes weight gain while on Ontrintellix?
- Suggest treatment for loss of vision and vomiting
- Suggest treatment for metastatic melanoma
- What causes joint pain while on Requip?
- What causes redness and painful swelling in the eyes?
- What does my ultrasound scan report indicate?
- Suggest treatment for painful rash on the waist
- Does long term use of steroids affect a person's immune system?
- Suggest treatment for leg cramps and shortness of breath
- What do my creatine levels in blood indicate?