question-icon

Hi Doctor, My name is Jeannie. I am 65 years

Posted on Thu, 21 Mar 2019
Question: Hi Doctor,
My name is Jeannie. I am 65 years old and I am experiencing lower than my normal blood pressure and pulse. I have taken my blood pressure three times today - 107/49 pulse 39, 107/67 pulse 49, 106/56 pulse 44. My norm is usually on an average runs 130/76 pulse 60-65. I am presently taking 50 mg of Metoprolol, once in the am and once in pm. I have not taken my pm tablet at this time. I had my left knee replaced a month ago and have been dealing with a lot of pain. I no longer am taking any pain medication.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap (29 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Adjustment of medicine dose needed

Detailed Answer:
Hello Jeannie

After going through the medical details provided by you I can understand your concern for your health and I would like to tell you that as per the details provided by you tour pulse rate is quite low.

Yes you have taken a right decision to skip one dose. Now just keep monitoring your pulse rate and if it stays around 60 to 80 then don’t take the evening dose.

Also it’s highly advisable to personally consult your primary physician and discuss medication dose adjustment with him.

Also keeping into consideration your age group it’s advisable to get an echocardiogram done for evaluation of cardiac function.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist