question-icon

Hello, Three days ago I ate a can of beans

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2019
Question: Hello,

Three days ago I ate a can of beans for dinner, along with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Since then I've felt bloated and have had no appetite. Alka-seltzer has helped, but I haven't felt like eating, and this is beginning my third day of not being able to eat. My temperature is normal. I feel like I'm just on the edge of vomiting. I have been drinking lots of water.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar (49 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Stomach flu mild.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for choosing 'Ask a Doctor' service for your query,

The symptoms you are describing are mostly suggestive of gastroenteritis or stomach flu(commonly called food poisoning), which can be bacterial/viral infection of the intestine.Nausea vomiting loss of appetite loose motion etc are all symptoms of it.However it's not necessary that all symptoms are present in every patient.

Stool analysis and culture are required to confirm the diagnosis.
If turns out to be bacterial management is with antibiotics (usually a combination of Ciprofloxacin and Metronidazole) for which you will need a prescription. However viral is sepf limiting and takes 4-5 days to settle down.
For nausea just take over the counter tablet zofran 4 mg as and when required.
For bloating take activated charcoal tablets.
Take isabghul husk it's a bulk forming agent and would help to move fermenting food inside intestine towards anal canal.
Follow soft diet. BRAT (Banana, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast) diet will be easier on your tummy.
No meat soda etc.

Hope this answers your query
Please let me know if you need further clarification

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist