Hello, My 14 yr. old son has swollen lymph node
My 14 yr. old son has swollen lymph node on right side near jaw, as well as some swelling under the right side of his tongue. This has been going on for over two weeks and has seen a couple of doctors of which one had given him some antibiotics and prednisone. A general blood workup was done while fasting, which came up normal. He would feel well for a little while and the swelling would come back and doesn't feel well. But now his symptoms have now progress to a high fever, which I manage to bring down with Tylenol and ice packs. What can this be?
may be related to one of the salivary glands
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
You may want to consider an ENT specialist for him, it is possible that the symptoms may be due to an infected or blocked saliva gland.
This can cause swelling in the mouth or side of the cheek or below/under the tongue because they are different salivary gland. In most cases only one is affected at a time. For him where the swelling is under the tongue, it may be the submaxillary/submanibular salivary gland
In some cases, there is a small stone that needs to be dislodged.
In some persons the use of copious fluids, antibiotics, massage of the area and warm compresses- may be enough. Clindamycin, which he is currently using, is one of the more common antibiotics
Even if the symptoms are not in keeping with issues with the salivary gland, ENT might still be best to assess.
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Can Hydroxyzine be taken for urinary tract and bladder infections?
- What causes black colored stool?
- What causes dizziness in an elderly person post suffering a concussion?
- What does severe atrophy in a MRI report indicate?
- What causes electric shock like sensation in the arms radiating to the...
- Suggest treatment for swollen lymph nodes and fever in a child
- What does resting heart beat of 52 indicate?
- What causes diarrhea and upper right abdominal pain?
- Is Oxycodone 10/325 different from Oxycodone 114?
- Can Antabuse cause dizziness?