Hello, I currently have a cold I believe. No fever

Question
Hello, I currently have a cold I believe. No fever, had a sore throat which is now gone, runny nose the second day that has subsided a bit, congestion and sinus pressure. Just kinda yuck. My son has surgery in two days. Am I contagious since I have no fever and what can I take to dry this up? Thank you, Mia
Thu, 8 Feb 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Additional information is required

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare Magic

I can certainly understand your concern.

Before guiding you further I would like to know your gender and age.

Also specify the age of your son and the kind of surgery that is planned on him .

Once I receive your answers, I will guide you thoroughly.

Thank you

Follow-up: Hello, I currently have a cold I believe. No fever 44 minutes later
Hello, I am 60; my son is 32. He is having surgery on his prostate due to irritation and difficulty with urination. I need to dry this up. I am pretty sure it’s not a flu due to no fever, chills. Can you help me?

Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The risk of spread of infection is extremely low

Detailed Answer:
Hello Madam,

As per your symptoms, the possibility of a mild upper respiratory tract infection is present.

You need worry about it's spread ( contagiousness) to your son. Considering his age, he might have developed significant immunity against the common viral/ bacterial infection during his growth. Your Infection doesn't pose any risk to his surgery.

Coming to your symptoms, it's advisable to consider antihistamine medications like Monteleukast and/or Levocetrizine for 3 to 5 days to control your symptoms adequately. Please check with your physician if he shares my view and if can prescribe these medications to you.

The possibility of a major viral or bacterial infection in the absence of fever and sore throat is unlikely. Hence you need not worry about it.

Hope I have answered all your questions.

Are you satisfied with my consultation ? Or is there anything else left to be discussed ?

Thank you