Hello. I am vacationing in Thailand and am having a

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 10 Feb 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello. I am vacationing in Thailand and am having a fairly severe reaction to some kind of bite or sting. At first I thought they were just mosquito bites but they are large, super itchy, and hot to the touch. This occurred after a short walk on the beach then a swim in the pool. Any ideas on what it could be, how to treat, or whether or not I should stay away from the beach for the rest of my trip?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hives

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern and I have viewed the images.
They seem like Hives - Acute Urticaria. It could be due to food, food preservatives, some medications or in response to an infection - viral, bacterial, fungal, dental etc. Alcohol can also cause urticaria.

How long since you have it?a few hours or for more than a day?
Is the rash only on legs or is it elsewhere too?

I suggest you to apply a topical soothing lotion e.g Calamine lotion. In addition I suggest you to take an oral antihistamine e.g Cetrizine 10mg tab once every evening.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 12 minutes later
hi Dr Kakkar. I have had it for about a day now. There are other locations of bites, on my upper arms, shoulders, backs of thighs. But none are as inflamed or abundant as the ones on my right leg.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hives

Detailed Answer:
Fine. I suggest you to follow the above. In addition I would ideally suggest a week of oral steroids e.g prednisone 20mg.