Heart murmur, hole in heart, excessive sweating. Life threatening problem ?
Here are the explanations:
My son is 4 month old baby ,
== 4 months age is common age at detection of heart diseases that are present since birth. His weight gain is normal as per records, means till now the heart defect has not harmed his body any way. Though earliest is likely to be a delay in milestones or growth.
He is diagonised of heart murmur with hole in heart of 6 mm.
=== Often such diagnoses are by chance, picked up during routine examination, smaller the defect louder the sound of murmur, lesser the problem. though more than 90% defects less than 10 mm close by one year naturally, one needs to confirm teh same by a 6 monthly check with echo/doppler. those that dont close by 1 year age are unlikely to close in life. all cases when defect doesnt close by 1 year or has serious issues with growth or hospitalisation, it wont be wise to delay the surgery unless advised by a Pediatric cardiac surgeon.
How XXXXXXX it is?
== Dangers are related to size of defect, associated defects and complications like pneumonias, cardiac failure. Most such cases will have growth failure along with. At times the issues can be life threatening.
He sweats a lot. Is that a problem
=== its a body's solution to some extent by imcreasing sympathetic/flight-fright drive that causes sweating. it may be an early sign that heart is under stress. These kids need a close watch to detect early pulmonary hypertension, early cardiac and early growth failure. Discuss with your doctor regarding infective endocarditis prophylaxis and failure prophylaxis medicines which you should know.
What is the treatment for such hole?
== If it doesnt close on their own, then surgeon needs to close it by different means which is often an open heart surgeryin children.
Is it life threatening, i am worried as he sweats a lot.
===I explained it already. concentrate on feeding. If he gets tired, feed with spoon. Even breastmilk can be fed with spoon. Give vaccines as per schedule and dont take him at crowded places or close to any sick patient. Don't kiss mouth to mouth.
Hope this helps you.
He sweats while he is sucking milk. otherwise he is active and normal. So, is sweating making so much impact on him. So you mean, since the hole is 6mm it is likely to disappear. If not i need to consult a doctor for further advice. Since we are relocating to singapore in short while, do u think singapore is a better place to get best treatment? Can he travel in flight?
Singapore isn't the best place, as these surgeries are done in India (Narayan hrudayalaya Bangalore) too with great precision. Currently child has no other issues so you may wait watch and monitor.
I am concerned about the sweating , that may suggest that he may decompensate by simple infections, so take extreme care.
Yes, flying is no harm keep the child feeding during the jet.
Discuss with your doctor regarding any increase in heart size due to the murmur/defect. If so, you may need to be started on failure prevention medicines on daily basis.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Wish you good health.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Heart flutters with a heart murmur
- Leading a normal life with heart murmur
- Heart murmur daily life limitations
- Heart murmur esophageal spasm
- Heart murmur can give problem with erection
- Is heart murmur the same as hole in the heart
- Heart murmur shorter life
- Are heart murmurs life-threatening
- Heart murmur heart attack
- Non life threatening heart murmurs
- Can exercise affect the test results for AST and ALT?
- What is the cure for severe depression and headache?
- What can cause abdominal pain and gas problem ?
- Are there any problems in getting pregnant at thirty nine years of age?
- Long string like thing in stool,two hemorrhoids,bowels more often than...
- What can I do if I have been diagnosed with pudendal neuralgia?
- Can ayurvedic medicine cure my baby's biliary atresia?
- How is low body temperature and cold feet treated in children ?
- Pneumonia, depression, swollen eyes, headache, arm and leg pressure,...
- Chromosome 4 in the long arm, also autistic, asthma, sleep problems....