Having stomach ache and diarrhea. What is causing this and cure?

Dr. Charles S Narasi

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 14 Dec 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Question: in have real lose stoles for a week, now i feel like i have to release some stool and its hard to come out. my stomach also hurts real bad.in have real lose stoles for a week, now i feel like i have to release some stool and its hard to come out. my stomach also hurts real bad.
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 57 minutes later
Hello, XXXXXXX,
Sudden onset of diarrhea could be from a number of
reeasons.
Eating contaminated food or drinks can cause food poisoning.
Poultry, egg products, bad cheese etc. can do this.
Summer time, viruses can cause diarrhea.
If you are older than 45-50 years of age, have to think about
diverticulitis or infection in one or more of the pockets on the
wall of the colon or the large bowel.
Usually, after a bout of intestinal infection, after the diarrhea
stops, still you may have the urge to go , but since there is
not much residue, there won't be much stool.
This will get better when once you start eating normal and
introduce adequate fiber in your diet.
If you also had a high fever, chills etc, I would recommend
that you see your doctor.
Hope you feel better soon.