Having slight periodical pain in ear. Is this serious?

Dr. Kulbir Singh

Posted on Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a slight periodical pain in my right ear since the past 4 to 5 days. This comes periodically for a couple of seconds and goes away. I just wanted to confirm if this is something serious?
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX and thanks for posting the query
The ear pain needs an immediate attention if it fulfills any of the following criteria:
1. There is abnormal discharge from the ear like pus, clear fluid etc.
2. There is hearing loss in the ear i.e. if you feel any deafness
3. If there is tinnitus i.e. ringing sensation in the ear?
4. Uncontrolled Itching in the ear.
5. Has fever and infection or symptoms in nose or throat.

If you have any of the above said symptoms that I would say take an appointment from your ENT specialist and get yourself checked. The reasons for pain may be infection in the ear, impacted wax, Furuncle (boil). You may need cleaning of the ear or a course of antibiotic.

Hope I have answered your query. Write back if you have any further related query.

Best Wishes

Dr. Kulbir Singh