Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Having severe pain in chest. Lost appetite with weight with nausea. Musculoskeletal pain or something else?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 364 Questions
I have been having severe pain for 3 months in my upper chest (between throat and breast), back, and hips. Sometimes the pain keeps me up at night. I've also had lack of appetite with the weight loss of more than ten pounds. I've been extremely dizzy and have problems with nausea and diarrhea. I've been told that it was musculoskeletal pain, but I never have gotten injured. I've heard it can be caused by natural wear and tear, but it doesn't seem to account for my nausea, lack of appetite, or weight loss. Is there another diagnosis that they are missing and/or should I ask for more tests? The pain and dizziness is interfering with my life to the point I've had to drop out of school. Can you help me?
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mamun Kabir 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

Chronic pain at the chest, back, hip joint & weight loss for three months. There is a possibility of seronegative spondyloarthropathy.It may involve the axial joint & peripheral large joint(hip,knee).
Costosternal joint involvement may cause chest pain. Bowel involvement(pain,diarrhea) is common in this setting. Weight & appetite loss is also common. This type of inflammatory pain may aggravated during night. X-ray of the lumbosacral & sacroiliac joint will help you. But other possibility should also be considered.

To rule out other causes, it is important that you consult your GP for a detailed examination and investigations.

Hope I have been of some help to your query. Let me know if you require further assistance.

Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor