Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Having recurrent cold. Diagnosed with high sugar level and had medicine. Sugar level still high . Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2580 Questions
My father in law was having the problem of reoccurrence of cold since march 2013. He had been diagonised with high blood sugar level quite a few years back and was having some medication to control the sugar level.
Recently his blood sugar level increased to 285 around.
The various reports, his diagonsis and medication have been given below
Would request for your opinion on the same.
Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later

Thanks for the query.

Based on the details submitted, your father in law is 62 years is known to have diabetes on glycomet (Metformin); high blood pressure on Telsite (telmisartan); hypothyroidism on thyronorm, high cholesterol on lipicure and perhaps antiplatelet prophylaxis (ecosprin). His sugars are way above the normal levels as evident by high blood sugar level as well as high Hba1c level.

It is prudent that his current oral hypoglycemic drug (glycomet) is unable to control his blood sugars. It necessitates modification in the way medications are taken or rather change in his treatment as well as life style modifications. Perhaps adding another drug such as glimepiride or insulin needs to be done. Discuss with his diabetologist to rationalize the drugs as per sugar levels.

I also see that his BMI is 32 which is extremely high (obese category). You must be aware that obesity increase insulin resistance and thus high sugars. It is essential that he concentrates on reducing weight by exercises and diet. If needed contact a nutritionist for proper diet plans.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor