Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Having neck ache. Feeling like rice grains around. Should I be serious?

Jul 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 2148 Questions
Hi, I had a neck ache the moment i woke up this morning and I tried to feel my neck and realised the right side of my neck feels slightly more wobbly than the left when pressed hard onto it. It feels like a few little rice grain that can move around and when pressed onto it, I will feel some pain/ache. Is this normal as I dun really feel it on the left side of my neck. May I know what is the cause of that or if there's anything of serious concern.. Thanks!
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It could be a soft tissue strain

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Based on your description, I feel that the pain or ache in your neck could be due to muscle spasm in the paravertebral region owing to odd position of your neck placement during sleep.

I don't think any seriousness with this issue as it has developed overnight. Also, the subcutneous fat globules present under the skin could be giving you a feel of rice grains.

* Ice pack the involved area once in 2 hours
* Local application of a pain killer gel
* Use moist heat fomentation to relax the soft tissues

Hope I have justified your query. Happy to help for any clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having neck ache. Feeling like rice grains around. Should I be serious? 14 hours later
Thanks for the prompt reply! Just wanna check if its normal for that rice grain(slightly bigger) rubbery feeling to be still there even when my neck ache is getting slightly better? When i press hard onto it that one or two rubbery feeling feels as though its running around my fingers.. And why dont i feel it on my left side? Dun they have to be symmetrical? Thanks!
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get an Ultrasound examination done

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Nice to hear from you.

It's only my assumption that they could be fat globules. A detailed clinical examination as well as appropriate investigations like Ultrasound examination or MRI scan of the involved area will diagnose them exactly.

If you are worried and concerned, Please consult your family physician for a detailed workup and management.

Good day
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor