Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Having lower back problem. Arms and hands hurt very bad. Hands are swollen and numb. What can this be?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
Quick back round on my health issue, it may be relevant. I have a lower back problem, have been through all the tests and need a ADR and a fusion, lower back. I'm on a pain management schedule of 9 compounded hydrocodones a day.
My issue now, the past two weeks my arms and hands have been hurting very bad, to describe the pain,,, like small electrical tingling starting in forearm going to fingertips. hands feel swollen, aches all the time, can't sleep because of it, they feel numb, it's almost hard to explain
Posted Thu, 24 Oct 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Compression of nerve in cervical [neck area] spine

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

According to your symptoms it looks like there is compression of nerve in cervical [neck area] spine. This leads to numbness and tingling in your hand.

When such patient comes to my hospital we usually take x XXXXXXX spine to see for severity of nerve compression.
Another differential can be nerve compression due to disc bulge which may need MRI for confirmation.

Medication like methylcobalamine with muscle relaxant and analgesic will reduce pain, you can take them consulting your treating doctor.
You may consult physiotherapist for further guidance. He may start TENS ,or ultrasound which is helpful in your case.

Some exercises which can be done after pain has reduced include- gradual neck rotation, touching your ears to shoulder, shoulder shrugging exercises.
Also check your vit B12 and vit D3 in your blood.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and informative and I will be glad to answer any further query.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor