Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Having lesion at the base of teeth. Got infected. Filled with pus. Suffer bad smell in mouth. Used canker sore gel. Suggestions?

User rating for this question
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2549 Questions
Hi I have a lesion at the base of my front right teeth, approximately a half inch long. It looks more like a slit which has opened up and gotten infected rather than a spot, or a round sore. It has opened up a bit and I can see what looks like pus in the middle of the sore. It has been in my mouth for at least five days, and just recently it began to smell inside of my mouth . . . I have bad breath which I could smell myself. Last night I put a canker sore gel on top of it to help it heal. I have no sexually transmitted diseases, and neither does my wife and we are both faithful, no other partners.

One more piece of information is that I have been swimming in the Hudson River in a relatively clean section north of Glens Falls, NY, where there is no dioxin. There is a swimming area there during the summer with lifeguards. I swim 45 minutes and a little river water does get into my mouth when I am doing the crawl stroke. I will not be swimming anymore till this clears up
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Dental abscess, dental X-ray, biopsy.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. This appears to gingival swelling with a draining sinus.

2. Get a dental reference and a dental X-ray.

3. Possible causes are a cold abscess related to a dental root, epulis, parulis, minor salivary gland tumor.

4. Treatment will include medication and local clearance. An excision biopsy will help find the tissue of origin.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor