Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Having infection while urinating. Having pain in abdomen and burning sensation. What can be done?

Jul 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1971
Answered : 9589 Questions
My mom is having some infection while urinating she is feeling pain left abdomen. There is burning sensation in the while urinating.
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May be due to Cystitis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query.

Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that your 60 years old mother is having pain and burning while passing urine.

In majority of females at this age after menopause have atrophy of entire Genito Urinary organs due to hormonal (Oestrogen) deficiency leading to narrowing of urethral passage what is called as post menopausal Urethral Stenosis causing incomplete emptying of the bladder which in its turn leads to stagnation of urine in the bladder (Post Void residue).

This post void residual urine gets infected (Cystitis) giving symptoms of burning urination and pain.
Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical evaluation and get following basic tests done under his guidance to confirm the diagnosis:
1) Urine routine and urine culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of the abdomen
3) Endoscopic examination of bladder (Cystoscopy),

In the mean while give her broad spectrum antibiotics like Cefotaxime along with urinary antispasmodics like Flavoxate for couple of days and later on shift to appropriate antibiotic as per culture report.

She may need to undergo endoscopic dilatation of urethral passage (Urethral Calibration ) to dilate her urethra so that there will be pain free and complete emptying of bladder. She will need clean self intermittent catheterisation (CSIC)at home for long period may be for 3-4 months which will resolve her issue for forever.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor