Owl Image

Having grinding sensation while turning neck. What is the cause?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have been having a constant grinding sensation whenever I turn my head that occurs in my neck, it is not painful but never goes away. It seems chronic last 3 years and its getting more profound as far as the popping and grinding,and spreading to my upper shoulders last few months but still no pain. Any Ideas what I should disscuss with my PCM?
Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The grinding sensation in the neck is the gliding of joints as you turn your neck. If your joint has been injured or becomes inflamed, the surface may thicken, creating a rubbing sound as you move. A courser noise may indicate more advanced changes in the surfaces of one or more joints. Such changes can be caused by osteoarthritis (OA) or spondylottic changes.
OA can happen from normal wear and tear or changed joint alignment (due to an injury, or when your muscles are tense or in spasm, or from poor spine postures that have been used over the years). A physical therapy program to help with your posture and muscle balance can improve movement in your neck and may help stop the noise.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.