Owl Image

Have swollen, purple and painful bicep. What is the disease?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
My bf has been complaining of pain in his bicep x2wks now. Today he said he felt a pop and then he said his arm felt as if it were wet but it wasn't. His bicep to mid forearm is now swelling. And from elbow to mid forearm, it's now turning purple and warm to touch. What could this be?
Thu, 24 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 30 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX,

From description , it seems your bf might suffering from biceps tendinopathy and now biceps tendon might got ruptured as he felt a pop.

An ultrasound can help to confirm the diagnosis of biceps tendon injury. I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. He may get the ultrasound/MRI of the area affected under his/her guidance.

I hope this answers your query. I will be available for further guidance if you needed.

Wishing you good health...
Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.