Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

128 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have swollen, purple and painful bicep. What is the disease?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
My bf has been complaining of pain in his bicep x2wks now. Today he said he felt a pop and then he said his arm felt as if it were wet but it wasn't. His bicep to mid forearm is now swelling. And from elbow to mid forearm, it's now turning purple and warm to touch. What could this be?
Thu, 24 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 30 minutes later
Thanks for writing to us.

From description , it seems your bf might suffering from biceps tendinopathy and now biceps tendon might got ruptured as he felt a pop.

An ultrasound can help to confirm the diagnosis of biceps tendon injury. I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. He may get the ultrasound/MRI of the area affected under his/her guidance.

I hope this answers your query. I will be available for further guidance if you needed.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon