Have swollen lips with dry skin. Any ideas what this could be?

Dr. Sudarshan

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My girlfriend has just in the last few days been having slight swelling on her lips and dried skin. These patches are turning darker. When she put on chap stick it always burns. Any idea what this is?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in .
The condition she is suffering from can be angioedema ,actinic chelitis, discoid lupus erythematosus etc.
Also I would like to know -
Since when she has this?
Does this increase while outside in open?increase on sun exposure?
Is there peeling of skin over the lips?
Does the swelling remains as it is or go away and return?
Are there any other skin related or other issues?
Can you upload photos of the affected area?
Photographs can help a lot in predicting the condition.
Till the time you can apply white paraffin gel over the lips 3 -4 times a day.
Upload the photographs and answer the question and we can continue the discussion here.
Awaiting your response.
Dr XXXXXXX
MD dermatologist.