Have sudden numbness in chin and slight swelling in lower lip. Should I go to ER?

Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde

Dentist, Prosthodontics

Posted on Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Dental Health
Question: Hello. I am a 56 year old male. 3 hours ago I felt a sudden numbness in the center of my chin, halfway between my lower lip and the bottom of my chin. This quickly became a quarter-sized numb spot with a slightly swollen, hard lump. The numbness radiates along my jaw up to my ears on both sides. There is also a slight swelling in my lower lip, and some numbness and tingling inside my mouth. Not much change for the last three hours. Do I need to go to the ER or can I safely wait this out?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Hello it is better to go to the ER. Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX Hello. the numbness which you are explaining needs to attended at the earliest. The numbness, swollen lump may be due to many factors which include tooth related problems, jaw related problems, neurological related, blood vessels related, reaction to some medications. Increased Blood pressure can also cause numbness in few parts. get your Blood pressure also checked. Do not apply anything on the affected region. Visit ER at the earliest. Wishing you speedy recovery, with regards,