Have severe asthma and experiencing breathing issues. Suggest the tests to be taken

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: My Father has Severe Asthma I experience breathing issues sometimes, what can I do to understand if I have Asthma problem?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Get your lung function test checked... Detailed Answer: Hi, Asthma presents with sudden onset breathing difficulty and wheezing. Symptoms are more pronounced during cold temperature; hence most patients experience symptoms late in the evening and during cold / raining weather. However many other symptoms can mimic asthma and only means to differentiate is through a lung function test. This test is performed at a chest physician office. It is an out patient procedure. Doctor will record your lungs ability to breathe during breathless times and after giving you a specific drug. You can contact a chest physician (pulmonologist) to learn about the test. I do not think we have any other means to determine if you have asthma. Hope it is clear. You are free to ask for clarifications. Regards
Follow up: Dr. Prasad 15 minutes later
Thank you for the reply, Do you have any suggestions as to where I can get this check up done? Any hospital where I can get a pulmonologist? Any suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: Multispecialty Hospital... Detailed Answer: Hi, Pulmonologist will be easily available at most multidisciplinary hospitals. If you are free one of the major cities, I am sure you wouldn't have any problems finding a multidisciplinary hospital nearby like XXXXXXX Apollo, Fortis. You can look for the closest multidisciplinary hospital and you will find a pulmonologist there. Hope this helps. Regards