Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

133 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have open sores on mons pubis with dryness around vagina. Could it be vaginitis?

Answered by
Dr. Aarti Abraham


Practicing since :1998

Answered : 6011 Questions

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: Hi, I have open sores on my mons pubis. They are not sore, they do not hurt, they have just appeared. The skin around my vagina is also extremely dry and chaffed, and I have even had cuts in the creases. Help please is it possible that I could have a bad case of Vaginitis, because I have been to the doctor for the cracks and dryness before, there I was tested and nothing was found. Could It have been to soon? They even did a culture on the cuts
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Thanks for writing to us.

There are many causes of sores on the vulva, and they should be thoroughly evaluated by a Gynecologist.

These sores are often caused by sexually transmitted diseases.
A chancroid, caused by a bacterial infection, causes painful sores, that are soft and with a clear defined border. It might be accompanied by swollen lymph nodes also.

Genital syphilis is a leading cause of vulval ulceration.

Genital herpes too causes sores on the vulva, but they are extremely painful. They can be diagnosed by appropriate tests done from culturing the sores.

Molluscum contagiosum causes papules on the vulva, which might ulcerate and cause sores if inflamed . These are easily diagnosed by examination, and biopsy.

Atopic dermatitis is caused by allergy to certain fabrics, chemicals, extremely hot or cold showers etc. It is invariably accompanied by itching, though, and might cause the kind of dryness you describe in surrounding skin.

Vaginal yeast infection could cause the extreme dryness and the cuts as well as the sores, but you mentioned that you have been tested for the same earlier.

Rare diseases like Crohn's disease often presents with a similar picture

Many chronic skin conditions like lichen etc cause eczema of the skin, which over time, can ulcerate openly.

You need to visit your Gynecologist again, after the appearance of these sores. You need a thorough bodily check up, examination of neck and breast, examination of lymph nodes, thorough examination of the sores, appropriate cultures and blood tests and then treatment as indicated.

Till then I can provide a few pointers to ease your discomfort :

Do not use fabric softener / harsh detergents for washing your undergarments. If you use a shared washer or dryer, such as a laundromat, you must hand wash and line dry your underwear, towels, and any other clothing that comes in contact with your vulva. .
Wear allergen free cotton underwear, not nylon or lycra etc.
Do not keep the area wet and moist for long.
Do not use bath soaps, lotions, gels, etc, which contain perfumes.
Do not use soap directly on the vulvar skin. Use warm water and mild lather.
Do not scrub / XXXXXXX dry vigorously / douche your private parts.
Use white, unscented, simple toilet paper.
Avoid use of tampons for the time being, unless bleeding is quite heavy. Use sanitary pads with a cotton liner.
Avoid using hair removal products till the inflammation subsides. You might want to trim the vulval hair.
Avoid Lubricated/latex condoms, contraceptive jellies, creams, or sponges which may cause itching and burning.

Take care and feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Vaginal fungal infection

doctor1 MD

Hi, I saw a red thin worn after passing urine before flushing . Im not sure if it was already there. Im having slight white discharge sometimes. I feel itchy from 2/3 days. Please suggest. Its been 6 months i had my first baby delivary

doctor1 MD

I am 28years(F) I suffer from hypothyroidism so I have irregular periods .. after my delivery I started suffering from PCOD and doctor had given drips as treatment after that they had prescribed tab for getting periods. if I take tablets I get...

doctor1 MD

Hello, I am 16 weeks pregnant and have slight pharyngitis along with vaginal fungal infection . My OBGY has prescribed the following meds. Is it safe to have these medicines and will it have any harmful effects on the growth and development of my...

doctor1 MD

had unprotected sex and the next day woke up feeling sore and by the end of the same day developed thick white discharge and itchiness. I have had a yeast infection thrush before once but it was when I was pregnant and really worried that it is a symptom of pregnancy rather than a ph imbalance as a result of the unprotected sex. If I had become pregnant would my body react with a yeast infection this quickly to hormone change... is it even possible to become pregnant this quickly?? thanks in advance!

doctor1 MD

I ve never been to a gynecologist because my mom isn t open AT ALL, with these kind of things. I m 17 years old and I ve never had any sexual relations of any kind. I ve masturbated but I m very careful with it and I m very clean about it and always wash my hands before and after. Even when I do, I dont insert fingers because i find it too small. My question is: Is it normal for me to have a bad smell down there? I asked a trusted adult about it once, and they said that it might be because of the pubic hair collecting bacteria and it might help to get rid of it. so i did, but then i started getting ingrown hairs down there so i stopped. but the smell didnt improve at all and the discharge is cloudy and white and its ALWAYS there. I m worried that there might be something wrong with me

doctor1 MD

I had a yeast infection and went to the doctor last week. He gave me Flucanzole, single dose, which I took Friday evening. It s now the following Friday, and, although the itching and burning are gone, I still have a lot of vaginal discharge . It doesn t smell bad and it doesn t have a cottage-cheese consistency, but there is a lot. It was like this through my yeast infection, so I m wondering if I should ask for another course of Flucanozole or try some Monistat? Thanks!

doctor1 MD

I have all the symptoms of pre-period.. acne ,sleeplesness, cramps ..but no period im a week late & known to hVe irregular periods my discharge is also a creamy thick white color & my uterus feels swollon& tight during sex little pain also..whats going on ?i was also om birth control but have been off just this month.. YYYY@YYYY