Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

156 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have mild ehlers danlos syndrome type 3. Experiencing joint pain and numbness. Treatment?

Answered by
Dr. Divya Agarwal


Practicing since :1999

Answered : 569 Questions

Posted on Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Lupus
Question: Hi. I am a 29 year old male who has been diagnosed with a mild form of Ehlers Danlos Syndrome - type 3. My mother also has Postural Orthostatic Tachyicardia Syndrome. I have been experiencing joint pain, numbeness and tingling in the left side of my body for the last year. The left side of my neck, shoulder, chest, abdomen, lower back, pelvis, knee and bottom of my foot are all affected. The right side of my body strangely has no pain, tingling etc. I have had a chest xray which showed that i have an enlarged left hilum, but a CT scan showed no reason for it. I also had an ultrasound of the liver as the CT scan showed up that the liver had different textures. This showed no problems. I am waiting for an operation on my left knee as i have a complete tear of the anterior cruciate ligament. I also get symptoms infrequently of a burning sensation in my thighs and a constant build up of saliva in my mouth which is very annoying. I also flush very easily and can draw a line with my nail on my skin and it will stay red for a very long period of time. I had no symptoms up until I was 27 and then they all just started to happen a few months after I had a neck injury at the gym. I'm not sure of this triggered anything or is related, but I have had an MRI of my neck and it came back normal.
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 6 hours later
Thanks for your query.

I would like to know whether you have symptoms of hypermobile joints. Because that is the prerequisite for joint symptoms related to the Ehler Danlos syndrome.

The joint pains are usually related to degenerative joint disease so you have to be careful to avoid exercises that hyper-extend your joints.

Muscle strengthening exercises are good.

The other symptoms you have described have to be dealt with symptomatically.

As you know this is a genetic disorder so you cannot really get rid of it totally but can keep it under control with precautions.

Do let me know if you have more queries.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Divya Agarwal 15 hours later
Thanks for your reply,

I have hypermobile hips and thmbs only. I get pain in my hips and thumb joints sometimes, but it is not too bad. I worry that I also have an autoimmune condition as my mother has Postural Orthostatic Tachyicardia Syndrome and I get the regular flushing of the face, neck and chest and I also get the unpleasant symptom of saliva building up in my mouth for no reason - so it seems that my body is telling it to do it without it needind to.

I do a lot of exercise as I have a physical job. I know my shoulder pain is due to overworking it at work and I also play soccer sometimes - not so much now that my knee has a complete tear in the anterior cruciate ligament.

Basically the symptoms to seem to flare up really badly to the point that I worry that I have something seriously going wrong in my body and then after a few months the symptoms may ease to the point that they are almost gone for a period of time. This has been happening on/off for the last two years almost I would say.


Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 7 hours later
Yes POTS may be related to Ehler Danlos.

For the symptoms of flushing and increased saliva you may need to be on symptomatic medication like anti muscarinic agents.

However for your joints the main stay is going to be regular exercises , proper intake of calcium and vitamin D and NsAIDs on an as and when needed basis.

As you know this is a hereditary condition and you need to make some lifestyle changes in order to deal with this condition.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Lab Tests ,  

Recent questions on  Degenerative joint disease

doctor1 MD

I am a 63 yo man who has degenerative joint disease of the spine, spinal stenosis bulging disks and radiculopathies of L12345 S1 resulting in tightness and discomfort in the right leg from the buttock down through the posterior of the RLE as well...

doctor1 MD

I am a 63 yo man who has degenerative joint disease of the spine, spinal stenosis bulging disks and radiculopathies of L12345 S1 resulting in tightness and discomfort in the right leg from the buttock down through the posterior of the RLE as well...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I just found out this morning that I have high cholesterol (209) and LDL is 140. I am baffled by this. I follow a very healthy diet plan (designed by several RD's) as well as a very structured fitness plan. I exercise approx.10-12 hrs/week,...

doctor1 MD

i hade a mri on my right hip and my doctor is gone for 2 weeks and iam trying to understand the report. impressions: degenerative joint disease in the right hip with findings concerning for adhesive. 2) myositis in the oburtator internus, externus and quadratus muscles. 3) reactive marrow edema in the acetabulum.

doctor1 MD

Ok not sure where to start...for one thing I had a MRI/CT scan back on 10/14/08 & the findings were as is:
Degenerative joint disease of the lumbar spine
Multiple broad based disc protrusions from L1 to S1
Foraminal Stenosis
Hemangioma on lower thoracic and lumbar spine
Degenerative joint disease of the dorsal spine
Multiple mild disc protrusions from T8 to T12 with encroachment of the thecal sac
Broken L3 vertebrae..........
I have had excruciating pain for over two years now, I have no feeling in my feet ( I do somewhat have deep sensation ), I finally filed for disability, I have been on MIA medical insurance through Kern Medical Center here in California...I am lucky to be prescribed Vicodin 7.5/500 one every eight hours & Soma three times a day. The meds barely take the edge off of my pain, not to mention I have become so immune to the Vicodin I am taking two at a time every four to five hours ( thank God for my Mother that has Vicodin from past surgeries), & even then I have breakthrough pain in three hours, I feel the doctors have been negligent about the nerve damage that is continuing to happen with every day that passes, not to mention their lack of being sensitive to my severe and constant pain that has totally changed my life. I can hardly even take a shower without completely crying the whole time because of my pain as I wash myself. I am not one to complain but I am seriously at the end of my rope and I find it hard to even enjoy anything in life. If I laugh I have tremendous pain, if I open my mouth to eat I get an excruciating amount of pain (seriously!!) if I step a certain way the pain hits me so bad that I see stars so to speak ( I think I get close to passing out ) Well so much for my pity party, I just don't know what to do or where to go and I am sure I have scared the heck out of you but could you give a 49 year old female some kind of hope here? I wouldn't even know where you could start....