Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Have low back pain, painful in standing and maintaining position. Had chiropractic, accupuncture but temporary help. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Practicing since : 1983
Answered : 1337 Questions
I have low back pain from "very tight back muscles". I can't sit, drive, stand or maintain any position for more that 1hr without pain. I am a 53yo nurse in very good health & physical condition otherwise. I bike, hike, swim, zumba - until within this last 6-8months as my back pain has has increased in frequency. I have had chiropractic adjustments, PT massage, accupuncture. And it all works temporarily....any other suggestions?
Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggest facet joint injections.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
I can see from your details that you have tried many treatments for your back pain. You do not mention facet joint injections therefore I suggest this may be an option for you to look at.
The facet joints are the small joints linking the vertebrae in the back. This type of treatment is commonly used for the treatment of chronic back pain due to facet joint disease. This is not a cure but may significantly reduce your pain levels.
The injections are performed under local anesthesia often using X-ray control to assist in placement. The injection contains a mixture of local anesthetic and steroid. The benefits are that local anaesthetics numb the nerves for a period of hours giving short-term relief and local steroid has a long-term effect reducing inflammation in the joint and around the nerves. If these injections are helpful, they can be repeated after 4 months.
I would suggest you discuss this option with either a chronic pain specialist or orthopedic specialist who provides is form of treatment.
I hope this information has given you another option to consider. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor