Have high blood pressure. Prescribed amlopress at. How long should I take this medicine?

Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello Every one, I am XXXXXXX 28 years old, having high blood pressure i.e 160-170/100. Doctor has been priscrbe me Amlopress AT tablet . (Amlodipin 5mg....Ateonol IP....50mg ).So i want know that is it good to continue this table.and if yes then for how long ? is it possible
to lower blood pressue without tablets?
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thank you for your query on XXXXXXX

As you are having hypertension i.e. 160-170/100 mm Hg and doctor has prescribed Amlopress AT tablet, you should continue the medication according to your doctor advice.

Yes, it is good and you have to continue the anti hypertensive medication till lifelong and be in regular follow up with your Doctor to check your blood pressure regularly and to adjust the dose and for any modification in drug depending on your blood pressure, tolerance and clinical profile.

Primary essential hypertension (without any underlying secondary cause like Coarctation of Aorta or tumors like pheochromocytoma and renal causes, as they need surgical intervention and sometimes drugs) requires tablets to lower the blood pressure.

It is not possible to lower the essential hypertension without antihypertensive tablets and salt restriction is useful dietary measure to control blood pressure along with drugs.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please feel free to consult me.

Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E