What causes heart palpitations in a hypertensive person?

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 3 Oct 2017 in Valvular Heart Disease
Question: So i have another question that i cant really find an answer to..

I have had untreated (very) high blood pressure for at least 12 years. The past few months i keep getting episodes where i get really uncomfortable, my heart races, i get short of breath. Every time i lay down to sleep the same thing happens. I have to catch my breath and wait for my heart to stop racing. I feel very tired and weak all the time. I get exhausted, racing heart and short of breath extremely easily with very little exertion. I just got health insurance and finally went to the doctor. Im on two different blood pressure meds now as of yesterday.

Is it possible that my symptoms are just from the very high blood pressure? When i went to the ER my bp was 210/110. They did an ECG and quite a few blood tests but i was not having a heart attack and they didnt really find anything except low potassium, so they sent me home. Is it likely that damage has already been done? I will be seeing a cardiologist soon(ish). Just really wondering if its possible that i just have essential hypertension and that all my symptoms have been from it being higher than normal lately..
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello

After going through the medical details provide by you i would like to tell you that considering your age and the blood pressure values which you have mentioned were there when you wen to ER need through evaluation.

I would like to see the reports of the blood tests which they have done in the ER. Also i would like to have a look at your ECG.

Kindly upload your reports from your dashboard for me to evaluate them and guide you accordingly.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 hour later
I do not have a copy of the ecg. All i have are these numbers. There was a thyroid test done and troponin test also and they were normal.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello Again

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the feedback, but it would have been better if i can have a look at the ECG.

Anyways i would like to suggest you to get a 24 to 48 hr HOLTER Monitoring done to see what kind of rhythm goes on during palpitations.

Also its advisable to consult a cardiologist personally and get an Echocardiography done. Along with this get your thyroid levels, kidney function test, HBA1C for sugar control; done for proper evaluation.

You can discuss all this with your doctor

I hope this information will be helpful.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap