Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Have had right sided facial pain. CT scan showed red circle spot

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 9331 Questions
I was just wondering what bone this is in the ct scan that is circled in red?
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
This is zygomatic bone which is part of orbital bottom.
I dont see any pathology at this ct report. Photo may confuse because head was obviously inclined during ct scanning so on this side it looks like there is missing some part of bone,but as I said there no sign of fracture and this is just seen because of wrong head positioning.
If pain is located on this location and there wasnt some hit or trauma then it may be cause by neural mechanisms as seen in trigeminal and facial neuralgias. Second possiblity is eye or tooth disorder where pain can be refered to zygomatic bone.
Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have had right sided facial pain. CT scan showed red circle spot 6 minutes later
i actually meant the bone connected to the skull is that still the zygomatic bone? and also i was assalted and my head was beated into the floor on that side and now i have chronic pain. Even my eye looks droopy on that side. Could it be because the zygomatic bone needs to be attatched to the other bone?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
The upper part of circled in red is sphenoid bone which is part of orbital wall too. It is rarely injured unless there was really significant trauma and fracture. Of course,despite fractures,there may be some other injuries of nerve,vessels and muscles in orbital area. Such injuries cant be seen on ct scan usually and MRi would be more appropriate.
Droopy eye can be sign of such injuries and can be symptoms of eye and orbital trauma. In most cases droopy eye is caused by hematoma and swelling of soft tissue,but if there is vision disorder, diplopia or pain while moving eyes, you should visit ophtamologist for further evaluation.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor