Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
136 Doctors are Online

Have frenulum breve. Is there any treatment other than circumcision?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3613 Questions
Hi doctor, I think I have frenulum breve and i don't want to undergo complete circumcision. Is there any other treatment available including surgery and what would be the cost?
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Thanks for your query.

You are right about the diagnosis of your condition, it could probably be frenulum breve based on its appearance.

Treatment of frenulum breve is by surgery but not always circumcision, plastic surgeries like Frenuloplasty is a better procedure with great success where the surgeon splits the required part of the skin and sutures in a required way to correct the defect.

There is another less invasive procedure where threading a suture through the lower membrane, and then tying a tight knot around the frenulum is done. In here after a few days the frenulum will weaken and eventually break apart to allow the prepuce to fully retract.

In minor degrees of frenulum breve steroid creams like Betamethasone Dipropionate 0.5% is used. The success of the medical method is less, needing surgery eventually in many.

Hope, I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have frenulum breve. Is there any treatment other than circumcision? 4 hours later
Hi Doctor,
Thanks for the prompt reply.
I am based in India and I think so are you. Could you guide me about the costs involved in the surgery and also that should I consult a urologist for the same or a plastic surgeon?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 13 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

You will have to consult a Urologist for the above problem.

Cost differs in different hospitals. The cost may average up to around 10,000 rupees.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor