Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
139 Doctors are Online

Have family history of short height. Want to increase height. Suggest?

May 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 6506 Questions
hi i m 24 years old now, my mum is like 4,10 inch and dad is like 5,5. and i m 5,2. i stopped growing when i was 15,16 and im 24, i tried to increase my height but i could not. is there is any thing or is it possible me to increase my height 3-4 inch. or not.
please there is anything that i can increase my height
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

After going through your family details, it looks your height 5' 2" is in your genes and due to genetic reasons as both parents have less than that of the general population.

Since your skeleton is mature at 24 years old, your bones have fused and there is no scope of the bones lengthening by themselves. However this can be achieved through a surgical procedure by which your height can be increased surgically. It is a slow process but this requires a lot of patience and co operation from the patient.

The procedure is known as Ilizarov technique and for better results, a nail is also put inside the bone (intramedullary nailing). In medical terms this is known as distraction osteogenesis, that is new bone formation by surgically creating distraction within and therefore lengthening the bone.

Increasing the height with Ilizarov method is effective however the treatment time is long, requiring strict patients cooperation. Patient counseling regarding achievable increase in height and complications are a must before doing the procedure.

Please consult a qualified orthopedic surgeon who is experienced in performing Ilizarov technique and discuss the feasibility of this procedure.

Further questions welcome.
If you do not have any questions, I request you to please close this thread.

Wishing you good health.

Dr Vivek
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor