Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Have epididymitis, prescribed Vantine after urine culture, burning urination, swollen testicles. What can I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 1415 Questions
my husband has been diagnosed with epididymitis and prescribed Vantine after urine culture. Has provided little relief of frequency and burning of urine and swollen testicles. I was told there is a drug similar to pyridium called Perced that may gfve some relief to the burning, but whaT else can we do to relieve oveall situation. This began on Thurs and last night had severe chills and shaking but no temp????
Posted Sat, 21 Jul 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 45 minutes later

Thanks for writing.
Other than antibiotic based on urine culture,
1.     Cold compresses for the scrotum- apply ice cubes (within plastic carry bag) and keep over the scrotum for 15 min thrice daily for atleast 5 days
2.     Tight scrotal support in the form of V-cut underwear instead of boxer shorts
Will help.
If he continues to have chills, he needs intravenous antibiotics and admission till chills settles.
Sorry I am not aware of Perced.
But when the infection is cured, the burning will disappear and no other treatment for burning itself is necessary.
Hope I answered your query, kindly get back for doubts if any. Get well soon.
DR G Srinivasan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have epididymitis, prescribed Vantine after urine culture, burning urination, swollen testicles. What can I do? 6 minutes later
Thank you He had chills in night and put on sweat clotes even tough very warm, but both of my thermometers showed no elevated temp. He still feels bad today but no chills. I was thinking of ProsedDS. He has had eididymitis before but no chills. Is this same?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 47 minutes later

Chills means that the infection has spread from the testicle to the blood stream. So it is better to be under observation and take i.v antibiotics for a day or two.
During the previous episode, the infection could have been localized to the testis alone.
Prodec DS can give symptomatic relief, but needs to be taken only on medical advice. Kindly dont take if he is allergic to any ingredient in Prosed/DS, had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to aspirin, other salicylate medicines, or a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) (eg, ibuprofen, naproxen, celecoxib), if he has angle-closure glaucoma, problems with esophagus, bowel motility problems, a blockage of bladder or bowel, severe intestinal problems (eg, ulcerative colitis), myasthenia gravis or taking a sulfonamide (eg, sulfamethoxazole).
Hope this helps. Get well soon.
DR GS, urologist.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a General Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor