Have cortical renal cyst in kidney. Urine test showed RBC in it. Burning sensation while urinating. Serious?

Dr. Akhilesh Dubey

Posted on Thu, 31 Jan 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Question: I have cortical renal cyst in my right kidney of size 16.8 x 14.0 mm and RBC count in my urine routine test is 20-30 RBC/hpf while rest of the parameters are with in the range for details of urine routine test report please see the attachment. Sometimes i have pain in my back but their are no sign of irritation during urine excretion as well as no other symptoms Kindly provide me the remedy as well as please explain me the criticality of the same.
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for your query,
I have seen your report of urine is showing RBCs that means you have haematuria, along with 2-3 pus cells /HPF. Remaining parameters are normal.
Commonly this is caused by renal stones and/or Infection.
Take plenty of fluids and appropriate antibiotics after consulting local Physician.
Please repeat urine analysis after 1 week to see this clears or not.
If it persists then we may have to further investigate.
Cortical cyst in kidneys are simple cyst that means benign (Noncancerous) and can be monitored no intervention is required in such cases.
Please attach the Ultrasonography report.
Hope this information helps. If you have any further query, I will be happy to answer that.
Regards.
Dr.Akhilesh Dubey M.D.

Follow up: Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 24 hours later
respected sir thanks for your response i had attached my ultrasound report for more details. Today i had gone to specialist but he assumpt that their will be might a stone in kidney and he also said that sometimes it is tough that ultrasound detect a stone due to small size is it possible and i also want to ask one thing more that previously i had UTI and right now amount of RBc is more is it complicated ? and please also told me that what will be the probably causewhile my urine culture is sterile.
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 13 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for your input.

I have seen your ultrasound report. It is normal, except a tiny cortical cyst.

Yes, it is possible that small kidney stone, which has passed and caused haematuria, at present no stone or concretion is there.

In UTI, RBC may be few but a few drops of blood may cause many RBC in urine. It is not complicated; please do not worry.

If the urine culture is sterile, just take plenty of fluids and repeat urine analysis after 1 week to see if haematuria clears off completely.

Please get your Uric acid level, and let me know.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer and close this discussion; I will be available for follow up query if any.

Regards.
Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E