Have clogged arteries in neck from high cholesterol. Noticed enlarged vein on forehead. Is this serious?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Cholesterol
Question: My mother has clogged arteries in her neck from high cholesterol. Now she has three veins protuding from the left side of the forehead. Is this serious?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 54 minutes later

I do not think the enlarged veins she has in the forehead are related to the Atheromas (plaques related to high cholesterol) in the neck arteries. And usually such veins are not concerning. However please answer the following questions to understand the problem better:

Since when did you notice the veins?
Is she suffering from headache or eye pain?
Are the veins continuously visible?
Can the veins be compressed manually to the level of disappearance?

Waiting for your reply...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later
She noticed the veins two days ago.
She is not suffering from headache or eye pain, but dizziness.
Yes, they are continuously visible.
No, the vens veins can not be be compressed manually.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 58 minutes later

Thanks for the information.

The blood from the superficial veins in the scalp and face drain into the neck veins.If there is obstruction of any sort to the flow of blood from the face and scalp into the neck veins , engorged veins start appearing in above areas.Such obstructions could be due to thrombosis (blood clots), solid structures,inflammation in the veins etc.

Since you mention that the veins do not get compressed manually on application of pressure,I consider there is a need for her to be examined by a vascular surgeon to rule out venous thrombosis and other conditions causing the obstruction in the veins.

Hope I answered your query.Let me know if there are any concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli