Have clear red stringy discharge. What does it mean?

Dr. Pravin Banodkar

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in General Health
Question: What does it mean when you have a clear red stringey discharge that looks like snot.i don't have any medical issues so what is the problem
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 1 hour later
Hello
I would be pleased to answer your question .

Red stringy discharge means that you have an infection which needs to be treated with antibiotic cream and oral course .
This will help in reducing the inflammation and infection .
Please do book an appointment with the Dermatologist .
HOME BASED ROUTINE:
1. You can use the over the counter salicylic acid based face wash ( eg. Neutrogena XXXXXXX pore cleanser , Normaderm Vichy) . Use the face wash twice a day .
2. Use an alcohol free toner for the free outflow of the oil from the oil glands after using the face wash. ( e. Sebamed toner)
3. If you are using a sunscreen you should use a light water based SPF 15 sunscreen.
4. Do not use a moisturizer untill necessary as heavy moisturizer use can cause more acne on skin .

Dermatological CLINIC Based Services:

1. Salicylic acid is a a form a peel treatment , a liquid which is applied over the skin by the doctor. This is kept on the skin for a period of 5 minutes and removed out with water. The peel seeps in the skin and controls the size of the oil glands giving rise to acne . It also has mild antibiotic properties.
2. The dermatologist might prescribe you certain oral or topical application antibiotics.,

The above regimen is ideal for controlling your acne . The Peel treatment is the best treatment which has an advantage of not only controlling your acne but will also improve your complexion .

Follow up: Dr. Pravin Banodkar 5 hours later
What kind of infection do I have from a clear red stringey discharge that looks like snot
How does me having this discharge has anything to do with my acne
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 2 hours later
From where do you have the discharge .

There has been some confusion as you had selected the Acne category and mentioned about stringy discharge .
Could you confirm from where you are getting this discharge?
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Pravin Banodkar 37 minutes later
A discharge from my vagina
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 10 hours later
Thanks for the clarification.
Your category forum needs to be changed . This question should come in Gynecology .
It has been placed in Acne which has caused the confusion.
I would how ever be pleased to assist you with the same.
Stringy discharge can be due to infections. This can be related to trichomoniasis , other infections.
It can also come from non infectious conditions of the cervix or vagina like polyps , erosions , I would suggest you .to get the vagina and cervix examined by the doctor as suggested.

Thanks and take care. A pathology lab study of the discharge might be needed .