Have carcinoma prostate. Developed abdominal pain during the IGRT. What should be done next?

Dr. Jawahar Ticku

Oncologist

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Blood Cancer(Leukemia)
Question: Hi, My Father is diagnosed with Carcinoma Prostate. The Stage of the Cancer has been declared as CT3CN0M0. He has been advised for Raditherapy. We opted for IGRT protocal (Total 7200 Gray for 40 fractions) but my father has developed abdominal pain during the IGRT and the pain has become sever after the 22nd fraction. Then he has been diagnosed with an inflammation in Terminal ileum(10 cms from the IC valve) in the CT scan. There were no symptoms of abdominal pain before to IGRT. So we have stopped the treatment after the 22nd fraction. So How can we proceed further at this juncture? I've given all the test results in the "Medical History" Column.
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 9 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,
If it is IGRT, patient should not have abdominal pain. Bladder pain is possible which mimics abdominal pain. It is because of the inflammatory process a post radiation sequele. Stopping the treatment for some time and restarting after the pain subsides is a usual thing to do. There will be mild variation in the biological effective dose which your radiation oncologist will adjust if he thinks so.
It is recommended that during radiation treatment urine should be kept alkaline which your physician must have advised you.
Any positive parameter in the tests can be dealt with accordingly.
Truly,
Dr. J. Ticku

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli