Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

187 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have bruise on inside of wrist, getting larger and is red sore. Can ice and warm pack help?

Answered by
Dr. Yogesh D

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2009

Answered : 915 Questions

Posted on Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in General Health
Question: I have a bruise on the inside of my right wrist - last evening, I must have moved it 'funny' and it burned a bit - then it was okay. Today I have been lifting and cooking and the bruise has gotten larger - it's a bit sore - and is a tad reddish along the vein - should I ice or warm pack it?
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Ice it please. Detailed Answer: Hello Ms XXXXXXX Thanks for the query. Please use only ice, from your description, it seems like you had a burn on the right wrist, in which case applying warm packs will only make it worse. Please apply cold packs and also keep the area dry, you can also apply silver sulphadiazene if you are not allergic to sulfa drugs. A bleb may form, but don't open that, let it heal on its own, and do consult your doctor if the bruise gets painful and if the bleb opens. I hope I have not misunderstood your question, please point out the same if I have. You are welcome to ask me, if you have further queries. Wishing you speedy recovery. Warm regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Yogesh D 1 hour later
I did not burn it - I said it burned a bit - felt burny - it is brused and a bit sore - I may have turned it in an odd way - I am not sure we understand one another - I do not know what silver sulphadiazene is - but I have applied ice and arnaca gel to it.
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Continue icing it. Detailed Answer: Dear mam, Thanks for writing back and clarifying. I apologize for misunderstanding your question. Now, after your updated description of the events, I suspect you might have had a minor trauma to the wrist leading to some superficial vein rupture, that would explain the bruise and the pain. As we grow older, our tissues become fragile so any sudden and forceful movement or minor trauma can lead to damage. You can continue to apply ice to decrease the inflammation associated with the bruise, and I would also like you to restrict the movement of your right wrist by applying a splint for a few days(1 week). In case you develop worsening pain and the bruise continues to enlarge, you should consult your PCP. You con continue to apply the gel, apart from this right now, there is nothing much that needs to be done except waiting for the bruise to resolve on it's own. It may take one week to 10 days. I hope I have answered your query, please do write back if you need further clarifications. Wishing you good health. Warm regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

Recent questions on  Bruise

doctor1 MD

I have always bruised easily and now since being on aspirin therapy since 2007 even more; I have never had a bruise raise on me or get hard.....what could have caused this (I stopped taking ASA for a few days d/t upcoming scope but restarted yesterday d/t cancellation)? Thank you

doctor1 MD

Hi, so I got a bruise on my wist from hitting something a few days ago. Yesterday I spraigned the same wrist. I have been wearing a brace and I just took it off and on the bruise there s now a bright red spot in the middle. Could this be a blood clot?

doctor1 MD

I fell down my stairs a week ago Sunday and have a very large contusion on my right forearm. As it is healing and the bruising is now fading i am noticing several hard lumps in the center of it and now my arm is starting to hurt more. what could be causing this?

doctor1 MD

I had sudden pain left side, on my midback. . . not on the spine. It was like a popping sensation. Pain went around my left side . . then next day I noticed a dark bruise the size of a half dollar on my left side adjacent to my belly button. Any thoughts?

doctor1 MD

Patient: Female, 73 years, 6 months old, 5'7" tall, 230 lbs., in generally good health. Hypertension well controlled with medication, lifelong history of recurring clinical depression . Currently takes medication for depression and hypertension,...

doctor1 MD

I had routine bloodwork done and all tests came back normal except for a raised ferratin 575. When tested again 6 weeks later it came back at another high value 445. No other tests for inflammation were done. CBC with differential all normal. I'm...

doctor1 MD

My 6 year old daughter has a bump on her forehead right below her hairline. It is about the size of a small pea. She says it is painful. It is non-movable. It has a bluish tint similar to a bruise but much lighter. It does not seem like a bump...