Have bruise on inside of wrist, getting larger and is red sore. Can ice and warm pack help?

Dr. Yogesh D

Posted on Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in General Health
Question: I have a bruise on the inside of my right wrist - last evening, I must have moved it 'funny' and it burned a bit - then it was okay. Today I have been lifting and cooking and the bruise has gotten larger - it's a bit sore - and is a tad reddish along the vein - should I ice or warm pack it?
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Ice it please. Detailed Answer: Hello Ms XXXXXXX Thanks for the query. Please use only ice, from your description, it seems like you had a burn on the right wrist, in which case applying warm packs will only make it worse. Please apply cold packs and also keep the area dry, you can also apply silver sulphadiazene if you are not allergic to sulfa drugs. A bleb may form, but don't open that, let it heal on its own, and do consult your doctor if the bruise gets painful and if the bleb opens. I hope I have not misunderstood your question, please point out the same if I have. You are welcome to ask me, if you have further queries. Wishing you speedy recovery. Warm regards,
Follow up: Dr. Yogesh D 1 hour later
I did not burn it - I said it burned a bit - felt burny - it is brused and a bit sore - I may have turned it in an odd way - I am not sure we understand one another - I do not know what silver sulphadiazene is - but I have applied ice and arnaca gel to it.
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Continue icing it. Detailed Answer: Dear mam, Thanks for writing back and clarifying. I apologize for misunderstanding your question. Now, after your updated description of the events, I suspect you might have had a minor trauma to the wrist leading to some superficial vein rupture, that would explain the bruise and the pain. As we grow older, our tissues become fragile so any sudden and forceful movement or minor trauma can lead to damage. You can continue to apply ice to decrease the inflammation associated with the bruise, and I would also like you to restrict the movement of your right wrist by applying a splint for a few days(1 week). In case you develop worsening pain and the bruise continues to enlarge, you should consult your PCP. You con continue to apply the gel, apart from this right now, there is nothing much that needs to be done except waiting for the bruise to resolve on it's own. It may take one week to 10 days. I hope I have answered your query, please do write back if you need further clarifications. Wishing you good health. Warm regards,