Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Have bruise and small lump on bottom of foot. Sore to touch. How to remove this?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Emergency Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 300 Questions
I have a small lump, rather cystlike, right in the middle of the bottom of my foot. I have a bruise to the left of it that was sore the other day - no clue where it came from - and later the cystlike thing formed and it is sore to the touch - relieves with tennis shoes but not other footwear.
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sheeba Stephen 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Considering the acute onset and appearance of the cystic lump following a painful bruise, it is likely to be a friction blister. This is nothing but a localized collection of fluid formed as an inflammatory response to an inadvertent trauma / friction in that area. The soreness and the bruising which occured prior to the development of the swelling is indicative of this.

Mostly, these blisters burst open on their own or sometimes the the fluid gets reabsorbed gradually and they then disappear. I would suggest that you can take a mild anti-inflammatory medication for a day or two and wear comfortable footwear for a few days, in order to prevent further friction. If it bursts open, you can keep the raw area clean (by applying an anti-septic or washing with soap and water) and dry.

In case the swelling increases or you develop any redness, warmth, pus discharge or fever, then it's better to show it to a doctor.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Sheeba Stephen
Emergency Medicine Specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor