Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Have blockage in carotid artery. Do I need surgery?

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 9351 Questions
I have 75% blockage left carotid artery 53 female do I need surgery?
Posted Tue, 9 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Cariotid artery surgery is still controversal and there are many opposite opinions about your question. First I should know is this carotid stenosis symptomatic or asymptomatic. Did you have stroke,loss of sensation, loss of sight, headaches and dizziness? If you did experience this then surgery is reasonable option.
Benefit ftpm surgery for asymptomatic patients is proven at blockage >90%.
More than 70% is significant stenosis but decision about suregry depends on you. Statistics say that one of 40 strokes at 70% blockage will be prevented with surgery.
Also I suggest to wait for few more months, take medicines and then repeat doppler US and see is there any progression of blockage. Depending on it you can plan further treatment.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have blockage in carotid artery. Do I need surgery? 21 hours later
Thanks :) I have had no storkes eye sight is blurrier but could be because of my age. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 3 hours later
Well, you are still young lady... If you dont have problems then you shouldnt hurry with surgery. If you notice any of signs what i ve said you should visit doctor and start treatment.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor