Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Have an infected protruding urethra polyp. Can I apply a topical antibiotic cream?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 540 Questions
Yes, I have an infected protruding urethra polyp and surrounding tissue and I want to know if I can apply a topical antibiotic cream directing on the site?
I am 55 years old. Average weight and 5' 2"
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 6 hours later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

An infected polyp can mean a single or mixed infection depending on the number of bacteria infecting it. A topical antibiotic would have to be targeted in action to work. Which is possible only with a combination broad spectrum antibiotics.

Prescription of drugs is not allowed in here due to terms.

I would suggest you to get it examined at the earliest, as there is no alternative to culture and sensitivity, and prescription of oral antibiotics which are more predictable in response than topical therapies.

After the infection has gone down, your doctor should be able to guide on local ablation therapies to remove the polyp once for all. Lasers, cryotherapy are some options.

For now, you could try over the counter medications to mildly relieve your discomfort, but speed of healing cannot be certain unless the oral antibiotics are taken.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.


Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor