Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Have PCOD. Trying to conceive. Will it be safe to go for IUI?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Infertility Specialist
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 182 Questions
Hello Doctor!
I'm 30 yr old female, Height 5.2 feet, weight is 60.3 kg. I have PCOD problem. I got married last year. For the last one year we had been trying to get conceive but couldn't get suceed. Meanwhile I did follicular studies twice where the follicle (left side) didn't grow for the first month, but the next follicular study (right side) should good improvement since I have taken double dosage of Ovaashield medicine as prescibed by my Gynaecologist. In addition to this I wanted to specify that my hubby had undergone Semen analysis which was good enough. Even with good follicles of mine and good sperm count of my hubby we couldn't suceed. Then I did Hysterosalpingography which has impression that right fallopian tube is patent and my left corneal has block. So my Gynaecologist suggested to go for IUI. But we yet to decide on this IUI since we wanted to happen naturally. Can you please advice me.....
Posted Sat, 17 Nov 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Biswajit Dash 1 hour later
Hello madam,
Well, since your one tube is patent ,you can definitely go for ovarian stimulation followed by a follicular monitoring starting from day 9 and a planned intercourse for a few cycles ,say 2 more cycles.
If your follicles don't grow well you can add gonadotrophin injections to your stimulation protocols .In addition ,if you are obese then please reduce weight. You can go for a fasting plasma insulin and take metformin or myoinositol, under the supervision of your physician.
Based on your age, I would advise you for a diagnostic hysterolaparopscopy after two cycles of stimulation. It is far more informative than a HSG, as it will tell you about your pelvis much more and whether actually there is a tubal block or not (many times HSG gives a false positive impression of block due to tubal spasm). If so, you can go for a tubal cannulation for making your tube patent at the same sitting also.
Subsequently you can go for IUI.
If you go by your gynaecolgist's advice ,then do IUI for 2 to 3 cycles, then go for a diagnostic hysterolaparopscopy and proceed for a therapeutic one at the same sitting, if required.
I think I have clarified your queries. Let me know if you have any more question.
Good luck and don't get disheartened.
Take care

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Infertility Spclst

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor