Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Has high BP and diagnosed with diabetes with high FBS. Treated with insulin but sugar level fluctuating

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 1663 Questions
My dad has high blood pressure for the past 2 years, and for the first time he has been diagnosed with diabetes with fasting blood sugar level 450 and after meal it was 630. so doctor advised us to immediately admit in to the hospital. So this monday we have admitted him in the hospital and they started the treatment with infusion insulin, but the sugar levels are still fluctuating between 100 to 450. Please guide us how this will be cured and how much time this will take to normalize.
Posted Sat, 6 Jul 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 38 hours later
The goal at this time is to stabilize his blood glucoses in the 120-160 range with the main intention to also avoid a low sugar reaction. Once this us accomplished with insulin, pills can be considered later. Lab tests like liver and kidney function results will guide choice of oral medications. It is important that he is seen by a formally trained diabetologist or endocrinologist only. How old is he ?
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Diabetologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor