Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

Has developed recurrent bruises on ears on top and inside cartilage up to canal. What is it?

Aug 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 1025 Questions
my daughter has unexplained bruises on her ears on the top and insidr cartilige up to the canal. she has not injured herself abd they come and go everyvweek..
Posted Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: seems benign Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome to Health care magic, I am Dr Sriram Nathan an ENT surgeon and I shall try to help you out with your problem. At the offset let me assure you that since the ears are the only place where your daughter gets the bruise and since they go away from time to time, you have nothing to worry about. Just for your consideration, you may adhere to these: 1. Ear cartilage and canal are very delicate structures so that even a minor trauma such as a pillow or bed which is hard can cause these rashes. So make sure that she is not turning or putting much pressure on her lobes when she is sleeping. 2. Make sure her pillows and mattress are very soft and not the hard ones. You can even suggest her to sleep straight and not on one side and see if this helps. 3. Make sure that when she is sleeping she removes all her ear rings if she has any so that they do not cause any pressure induced trauma. Also if her ears are pierced then use only pure gold non reactive ear rings. If her ears are not pierced then you do not have to worry about this. 4. Let her not get exposed to extremes of cold and heat and her face and ear should never be in the direct blast of the AC or the fan 5. You may also get a soft cloth such as velvet pad which she can use to cover her ear especially when she sleeps and see if this helps 6. Apply a moistening lotion such as vaseline when she goes to sleep and see if that helps 7. I am also assuming that she is presently not on any medication like pain killers or steroids which are also associated with these bruises. 8. Laslty and most importantly, do not rub or meddle with the ear as I mentioned earlier, they are very sensitive structures. Finally, if the bruise is definitely having a cylce of coming and going then you have nothing to worry about. However if the bruise stays on permanently and comes in other areas and or comes more frequently then you must consult both your ENT as well as your dermatologist. In any case if the bruise does not get better by the above instructions in a week or two then I would suggest a full blood work up including bleeding profile and rheumatoid factor measurement. You may get back to me or any ENT surgeon with the reports. Hope your doubts are clear and I will be happy to help you out if you have any more doubts regards Dr Sriram Nathan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor