• question-icon

Had white scar removed, which came back as dermatofibroma. What can be done?

Posted on Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello I just had a what I thought was just a thick white scar removed. It was origionally a red scab and I accidently scratched it picked it off and a thick white scar formed. My dr removed it just in case, and it came back as a dermofiberdoma. But aren't those more like moles? And i also read that thu can be mistaken for something malignant. Would the lab been able to tell? It was done Thursday and I got the results today. My dr said totally benign.
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 52 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

You probably mean dermatofibroma. This is completely benign skin tumor usually caused by minor trauma of skin. It develops because of to intensive reaction of fibrous tissue during the scar formation. Every removed lesion is sent to histological analysis and there the right diagnosis can be established as was in your case. there is negligible possibility that it could be malignant because dermatofibroma is easily recognizable in pathologists lab and I don't think they would mistake.

Also it can have various shape and colors. it depends on type of skin you have. Usually it is brownish or pigmented but it can be white or yellow as well so this shouldn't worry you.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 1 hour later
Thank you! So scratching or picking a scab could have caused it to form. It looked exactly like a raised scar. Thank you again!
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 12 minutes later
Hi.

Yes, it is considered that some injury, scratching, insect bites or skin infections may cause it. In most cases there is some wound from which it starts and then it is provoked by some factor. Some people just have more intensive fibrous reaction during scarring process and this is nothing to worry.
Just next time when you have wound, cover it with sterile dressings till it heals.

If you do not need further clarifications, please close this discussion.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon