Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Had vericocele operation, testicular biopsy showed hypospermatogenesis with Leydig's cell hyperplasia. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Infertility Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 3767 Questions
Sir,This is XXXXXXX from VIJAYAWADA, A.P,INDIA.I am suffering with male infertilty problem.5years before i gone for vericosil operation.But my problem not yet solve.and then go for testicular baiapsy.In report i am suffering of HYPOSPERMATOGENISIS WITH LEYDIG CELL HYPER PLASIA.Please give me the suggeston and treatment where i go near my town.

Thanking you sir
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later

Thanks for your query.

I understand the pain and agony you are facing due to male infertility. Let me help you as much as I can.

Spermatogenic activity requires sufficient hormone called testosterone. Testosterone is produced by the Leydig cells under the influence of luteinizing hormone (LH) secreted from pituitary gland at the base of human brain.

Testicular Leydig's cell hyperplasia is a rare benign condition that is characterized by small, multifocal, and frequently bilateral, testicular nodules. Primary leydig cell hyperplasia is seen in children. However, in the secondary form of leydig cell hyperplasia, which more often occurs in adults, the nodules of Leydig's cell hyperplasia are typically not palpable, and the diagnosis of Leydig's cell hyperplasia is often made with imaging studies or by testicular biopsy as done in your case.
Leydig's cell hyperplasia is due to a faulty hypothalamic—pituitary—testicular axis with resultant chronic Leydig's cell stimulation.

Hence following would be my advice for you:

1) As far as infertility part is concerned, you have to go for Invitro fertilization techniques (IVF) and Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) with your sperm. AS you have hypospermatogenesis, this can be tried if you have any live sperm production in your testis.

2) If no mature sperms are present in your testis, you and your wife will have to be treated by accepting donor sperms and performing intrauterine insemination (IUI) to your wife.

3) Please see an oncologist to rule out testicular cancer. It is a serious conditions and hence to be ruled out. Oncologist may perform an MRI (Magnetic Resonant Imaging) scan to rule out testicular cancer.

4) If cancer is ruled out, testosterone replacement can be tried by synthetic preparations. The success of this is not significant; but can be attempted.

Unfortunately, your varicocele surgery was not much of help.

There are reviews written by our users about doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area. WWW.WWWW.WW
I hope I answered your query. Please accept my answer if no more queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Infertility Spclst

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor