Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Had protected sex, oral sex, non-reactive HIV test, throat pain, fever. Normal?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 364 Questions
Hi Doctor,

I had a protected sex with a sex worker last Saturday. Though I perform some oral sex. On very next day, I went to "Appolo Clinic" for a Tridot test and both the test shown "Non-Reactive". Since I have started Gym for 30 minutes in my office, I use to forget removing my inner garments, which was wet due to sweat. On last Wednesday, I had a throat pain and little feaver. I went to another "Appolo Clinic" near to my house and consult with a doctor there. I also undergo for HIV (ELISA) INTERPRETATION (Ag+Ab) test and both the cases it comes "Non-Reactive". Today, the doctor again check my health and found that I have some problem with cough and cold. He prescribed some medicines to me.

when I ask him, about the HIV results, he said that no need to worry about, as both test's are "Non-Reactive". My question is, am I normal at the moment? Or should I go for other test's on HIV after one or two weeks?

Posted Fri, 5 Oct 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 1 hour later
The fact that you got tested with an HIV ELISA test and it was negative so soon after a high risk sexual encounter doesn't completely exclude active infection.
The ELISA test may take up 3 to 6 months to become positive after you have been infected. There is another test called HIV viral load by PCR which can detect the actual virus in the blood shortly after infection (hours - days), however this test is not done routinely due to its high cost. Shortly after getting HIV infected a person can get a "flu like illness", which is another concerning issue in your case.
I don't mean to scare you, but you should definitely get a follow up testing. I highly recommend you following up with your primary care physician.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an HIV AIDS Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor