Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Had protected sex, now heart burn and burping. Can I get HIV by kissing and having protected sex?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
Hi, I had protected sex with a girl which was stranger. I can not rely on her. It has been a week. For last two day, i am feeling heart burn and i burp whenever i eat or drink anything. In the following site i found that it could be a symptom of HIV infection.
Can i get HIV by kissing and having protected sex? What should i do?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 37 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.

I can understand your concern for HIV but since you had protected intercourse, chances of HIV exposure are less and moreover heartburns and burping are not the only signs of HIV infection.
HIV can be found in the blood, semen, pre-seminal fluid or vaginal fluid of a person infected with the virus. Although males as recipients are at less risk, yet HIV can enter the body of the male through the urethra (the opening at the tip of the penis) or through small cuts or open sores on the penis.

CDC (centre for disease control and prevention) has clearly stated that specific fluids (blood, semen, vaginal secretions, and breast milk) from an HIV-infected person can transmit HIV. These specific fluids must come in contact with a mucous membrane or damaged tissue or be directly injected into the blood-stream (from a needle or syringe) for transmission to possibly occur.

Hence chances of exposure by kissing are less. As you had used a condom during the sexual intercourse and there was no damage to the condom, this significantly reduces the risk of transmission of not only HIV but also other sexually transmitted diseases.

Your possibility of catching the HIV infection is further reduced as there was no exchange of blood or secretions during the sexual intercourse. I sincerely believe you are not HIV infected. Moreover many people do not develop symptoms after they first get infected with HIV. Others have a flu-like illness within several days to weeks after exposure to the virus.

If you are still worried about HIV, then you can get investigations done to completely rule it out.

HIV testing is done with a blood test and is done in full confidentiality. The blood is first tested by ELISA test which is a screening test which looks for antibodies in the blood. Then if it is positive then Western blot test is done to look for specific proteins of HIV. So confirmation is only done by specific tests for HIV like western blot, PCR and ELISA. These tests may show accuracy after 6 weeks to 6 months as HIV antibodies take time to develop in the body.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an HIV AIDS Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor