Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Had nasal injury and bleeded. Have asymmetrical nose and problem in breathing. Is nasal septum deviation advisable?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 674 Questions
i had a nasal injury some years back and my nose bleeded at that time but we didnt go to any doctor but now at age 22 i find my nose not symmetrical as left part is shorter than right and i have breathing problem from one part of nose. i heard about nasal septum deviation and wanted to know about that and i wanted to know what would be cost of septoplasty
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query directly to me.

I understand your concerns and I hope I can provide you with the information you are seeking.

From your question I understand that you have had trauma to your nose sometime back and you had nose bleed at that time and you did not seek any medical help for the problem. Now you have noticed that your nose not symmetric and you have breathing difficulties through one of your nostrils.

As you have rightly said in your query, a deviated nasal septum could be the reason for the problems you are facing right now, bit there could well be other reasons like,

1. The trauma you had earlier could have resulted in a fracture of the nasal bone and layer it could have fused together in a wrong way and this might have further led to development of a deviated nasal septum.

2. Hypertrophied nasal turbinates (swollen mucosal lining of the inner nasal bones)

3. Nasal polyps,

4. Recurrent infections of the nose.

I feel the problem could be similar to the first one I have mentioned. I suggest you consult an ENT (ear, nose and throat) specialist to find out the exact cause and the nature of your problem. You can discuss about the possible treatment options and outcomes directly with the doctor.

The deviated nasal septum is a common problem, and the causes for this condition are different in different individuals, it could happen due to trauma as in your case, or it could result from repeated infections or it could be congenital (present since birth, but noticed later in life as the bones grow). The nasal septum is generally situated in the middle of the nose and it separates the two nostrils, it is made up of a bony part as well as a soft bone which we call cartilage. The type of treatment required depends on many factors such as how much of the septum is bent and which part is affected is it bony part or the cartilage.

As for the cost of the septoplasty, I am really sorry, it is difficult to tell you the exact cost, each doctor charges differently and the cost also varies from place to place, you can ask the ent specialist directly when you XXXXXXX him to discuss the different options available.

If you still wish to know the approximate cost, you can request the customer care of healthcare magic to help you out. Please call them and ask the same question. They can even help you schedule an appointment with a ENT doctor, I suggest you make use of that provision.

I hope I have answered your query completely and this information will help you.

Please do write back to me if you have any further queries or of I have not addressed any of your questions.

Wishing you good health.

Warm regards,

Dr. Yogesh. D
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had nasal injury and bleeded. Have asymmetrical nose and problem in breathing. Is nasal septum deviation advisable? 6 minutes later
can you provide me atleast the cost would be more than 0000 or between 5-0000.i wanted to know it
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 3 minutes later
Hello again,

My best guess would be, if you consider the hospitalization cost and the surgery cost, it will be above 10,000 rupees.

Hope this helps you.

Thank you again for asking the query.

Dr. Yogesh. D
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had nasal injury and bleeded. Have asymmetrical nose and problem in breathing. Is nasal septum deviation advisable? 1 minute later
i have booked an appointment from Dr m s XXXXXXX who is a plastic and cosmetic surgeon in Bangalore and i would go on saturday for the consultation.i wanted to know it is right to go for consultaion to him or i should go to ENT specialist and i wanted to know who is the ENT specialist at St johns Hospital Bangalore
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 5 minutes later

I would suggest you consult an ENT surgeon first, then you can go ahead with your appointment with the plastic surgeon.

As for the specific doctors in St Johns hospital, I am sorry I can't help in that as I am not working there nor do I have any contacts. Please do take help from the customer care team, I am sure they will help you in finding the right doctor for you.

Thanks and regards.

Dr. Yogesh. D
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had nasal injury and bleeded. Have asymmetrical nose and problem in breathing. Is nasal septum deviation advisable? 9 minutes later
i have a problem of attention and concentration and it has been affecting me since 5 years now . i was a very good student in studies before my graduation.but the problem started when i was giving my 12 th exam board paper there pain started at left brain through from ear and around eye.the pain is sometimes very disturbing and its continuos and since then i am not able to concentrate on many things .in college when i am in a class i cant pay attention and therefore was not abe to understand anything and therefore my performance in studies became horrible . i am not able to read for long time or listen to someone speaking and understand anything and i became disorganized and depresses because of pain .whenever i try to read or understand some problem the pain blockes me from doing that and i day dream about something or the other.from internet i found a problem known as hemicrania continua and of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 4 hours later
Hello again Mr. XXXXXXX

ADHD (Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) begins by the age of 6-7 years, it does not start later in life, so I do not think you have this condition.

Hemicrania continua to be diagnosed, the pain or headache has to be persistent for a minimum of 3 months without any relief whatsoever.

In your case I feel the problem is mainly headache which is causing distraction and attention deficit. Whatever the cause, you need to visit your doctor and discuss in depth and maybe you might need some investigations like MRI/CT scan of the brain because it is very important to rule out any other serious cause for your headaches.

Please consult a MD in general medicine first for your complaints, and then you can consult a neurologist/psychiatrist.

I hope this answers your query.

Please be informed that I will not be available for two days to answer any further queries, you can post a query after two days.


Dr. Yogesh. D
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor