Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Had metal on metal hip replacement surgery and tested high for chromium and cobalt. Metallosis?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5165 Questions
I had metal on metal hip replacement surgery in 2007 and subsequently have tested high on both chromium and cobalt levels in the blood. Chromium came back at 3.4 and cobalt at 2.7. Do I have metallosis?
Posted Thu, 10 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Metallosis is a clinical diagnosis.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your query.

Mean serum cobalt level of 0.24 µg/L - highest safe level: 5 µg/L
Mean serum chromium level of 0.28 µg/L highest safe level: 17 µg/L for chromium in blood
So definitely there are increase levels in your blood but this does not mean its metallosis.

The symptoms of metallosis include pain, a sense of instability, and increasing noise coming from the hip. The symptoms evolve over several months and are typically progressive. Metallosis symptoms always present within the first 4 years after surgery.
So if you are having such symptoms then you are having metallosis.

There is no medical treatment for removing metal particles. If metallosis is clinically present then revision surgery should be thought for.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor